November 5, 2013

Protein Pancakes

So as a little background while I had been in grad school and working full time between 2009-2011 I unfortunately put on a bit of weight.  I was working a super crazy schedule with many 12 hour days and going to grad school part time, so in my free time I just became lazy and did not work out.  Well somehow it took me a while to realize just how much weight I had put on, until I went to an event in January and saw pictures of myself from the event and was not happy.  I went on Weight Watchers for a 5 months and lost a ton a total of 14 pounds.  I was super proud of myself and everyone kept telling me how great I looked.  I then went on an 8 day trip with my husband and parents to an all-inclusive resort in Jamaica and let loose.  I gained back 4 pounds and since then I've  been maintaining from that point. Well, now I think I'm ready to lose the final 10 pounds that I had originally gained while in school. So here we go, this time I'm going to try it on my own though and use what I learned from WW.  So there are a few good websites out there that have low calorie recipes that are delicious. So today, I'm going to share a recipe I got from one of these low calorie cooking sites.
These are called Peanut Butter Banana Protein Pancakes and I found them on the Slender Kitchen Website.  I made a couple of changes but basically these are the pancakes Kristen makes, but I think both versions are great.  Now, of course these don't taste exactly like regular pancakes and you have to enjoy the taste of banana.  If you do like banana and you're looking for a lower fat version of pancakes these are a great option.


Peanut Butter Banana Protein Pancakes
as adapted from Slender Kitchen
Makes enough for 1 person - 3 large pancakes








Ingredients:
 
1 banana that is browning slightly
1 tablespoon Chocolate PB2
1/3 cup Liquid Egg Whites
1 tablespoon ground Flax Seed

Instructions:

I prefer to put all ingredients into my Ninja Blender and blend them all up.  It saves time and makes the concoction much more blended than I could ever get it by hand.
Then heat up the fry pan over medium heat and spray with cooking spray. 
Once the pan is well heated pour 1/3 of the mixture into the pan and let fully cook on that side, about 4 minutes.  Remember, cooking times may differ so keep an eye on the pancakes and look for the edges to begin to bubble up.
Once fully cooked on one side, flip the pancake over and fully cook on the other side.
When both sides have been cooked, slide out of the pan onto a plate and continue with the next 2 pancakes.












I like to eat these with some Sugar Free Syrup.  Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment